Monday, October 1, 2012

My Story...


The Women of Faith Conference in Atlanta last weekend spoke truth to my heart, rejuvenated my soul, and challenged my mind. The line-up of speakers included Sandi Patty, Kelly Minter, Patsy Clairmont, Brenda Warner, and many others. Each of these ladies shared some of their deepest hurts that included abuse, divorce, tragic accidents, and adultery. Seriously, their transparency and willingness to share their darkest moments with thousands of women spoke strength into my heart BUT it also made me doubt the power of my testimony. Would God ever use my story despite the lack of tragic events in my life?

In Mark 5, the demon-delivered man begged to go with Jesus and while the Savior refused, He gave the man a clear command. And Jesus did not permit him but said to him, “Go home to your friends and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.”

As I have wrestled with the heart of God this week, He whispered a strong, clear answer to me. Yes, I have a story to live out. One that includes highs and lows, defeats and successes, doubting myself and doubting God, and a heart that daily chooses to trust the integrity of God. You see, comparison has stolen much of my joy over the past 10 years.

Ah, the subject of comparison. It is that pesky voice that whispers things like:

- You’re not as smart as…
- She is a better minister’s wife than you…
- Your house is not as fabulous as…(thank you, Pinterest!)
- She is a better mother than you…(hello mom guilt!)
- Your walk with God is not as strong as…
- She is a better friend than you...
- You're not as funny as...

And the list goes on and on and on. Indeed, comparison is the thief of MY joy.

“Comparison is the thief of joy.” -Theodore Roosevelt

The lies of comparison steal my joy of friendship and my ability to be content. Furthermore, it steals the gift of genuine joy when I rest in the sovereignty and integrity of my Heavenly Father. Instead of believing the lies of comparison, I will tell the world how much He has done for me and of the perfect mercy He has given.

No comments:

Post a Comment